New Report Details Scope of MA’s Transportation Funding Woes

Nov 1, 2011 by  | Bio |  1 Comment »

A new report released last week by Transportation for Massachusetts, a broad coalition of which CLF is a founding member, details the origins and scope of the transportation financing crisis in Massachusetts. Written as a primer to achieve better understanding among decision-makers,  taxpayers and transportation users, “Maxed Out” provides illuminating background amidst an increasingly urgent call for solutions to one of the Commonwealth’s most pressing problems.  The report emphasizes that the lack of revenue to maintain the Commonwealth’s transportation system in its current condition, let alone meet future needs, jeopardizes jobs, the environment, and the quality of life across the state.

The report details how the state’s long dependence on borrowed money unsupported by new revenue to pay off the debt has left all pieces of the state’s transportation network increasingly unable to fund operations, maintenance or construction projects.  Citing a recent analysis by the Transportation Advisory Committee to MassDOT, the report states that “45 percent of the combined annual operating budgets of MassDOT and the MBTA will go to pay off debt, not to operate and maintain current systems, let alone expand them.”

The release of “Maxed Out” and another transportation financing analysis also released last week by the non-partisan think tank, MassINC, follow recent remarks by Lt. Governor Tim Murray that “everything is on the table” when it comes to solving the transportation financing problem in the state.

You can find a summary of “Maxed Out’s” findings in the press release, or download the full report here.

One Response to “New Report Details Scope of MA’s Transportation Funding Woes”

  1. Frank Haggerty

    Gov Patrick said the release of the SouthCoast rail plan is the latest sign of his administration’s commitment to the environment and the link from the SouthCoast and Boston.

    The governor promised before and there is certainly some work to be done, but we’ve made more progress in the past two and a half years than was made in the previous 30 years.Patrick said. He also said he will deliver this project on time.
    Gov Patrick said goals to have the shovels in the ground in 2012 with trains operational by 2016.

    It looks like the promise of SouthCoast rail is doubt also .