Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) is seeking an experienced and innovative advocate on energy and the environment to lead its Massachusetts Advocacy Center, the largest of its five Advocacy Centers in New England. Working with the President, the Executive Vice President, and CLF senior staff, the Massachusetts Advocacy Center Director (ACD) will be responsible for developing and implementing an advocacy program for Massachusetts with the potential to impact law and policy throughout New England and nationally. Responsibilities include managing the Massachusetts Advocacy Center staff, working with the Massachusetts Advisory Board, and establishing and deepening relationships with members, partner organizations, businesses, government agencies, supporters, media, and the public.
This position is based in CLF’s Boston, Massachusetts office.
The ideal candidate will be:
- A highly motivated individual with 7 or more years of advocacy experience in environment, energy, or related public interest fields.
- Able to devise effective strategies for achieving advocacy goals and objectives;
- Able to coordinate among diverse partners and understand how advocacy campaigns function;
- Experienced in law, policy and politics at the federal, state, and local levels;
- Able to take complicated issues and communicate them in a way that is accessible to new audiences;
- Experienced writing blogs and opinion pieces, and using social media platforms for advocacy and social change;
- Able to create and implement strategic advocacy campaigns;
- Experienced as a media spokesperson (print and broadcast);
- Experienced in fundraising including identifying prospects and cultivating major donors and grant funders;
- An individual possessing excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, having respect for a diversity of opinions, and able to work effectively in a fast-paced environment;
- Accustomed to articulating and meeting measurable goals; and
- Experienced managing an operating budget and professional staff.
The Massachusetts ACD:
- Manages the Massachusetts Advocacy Center and reports directly to the President and the Executive Vice President (EVP);
- Works with program directors (PDs), the managing director of CLF Ventures and the EVP, to develop and implement advocacy goals and strategies in the state;
- Serves as the hiring manager for, supervises and mentors staff advocates, legal assistants, legal interns and fellows, office managers and volunteers in her/his state, in coordination with PDs where appropriate;
- Works closely with senior staff colleagues and CLF constituencies to develop and execute fundraising strategies in her/his state, manage operations and expenses of her/his state office and develop and execute media strategy in the state;
- Manages and works closely with the CLF Massachusetts Advisory Board to maximize relevance, visibility and effectiveness of advocacy in Massachusetts, and to develop and execute fundraising strategies;
- Represents CLF at the Massachusetts state legislature, in legal and regulatory proceedings at the state and federal level, at public forums, media events and conferences;
- Develops, directs and stewards relationships with relevant NGOs, government agencies, political and legislative representatives, the business community and other stakeholders in her/his state;
- Manages the Massachusetts office, including its operating budget, administrative matters, a staff of professionals, and an office manager;
- Collaborates with other CLF staff at all levels on interdisciplinary matters; and
- Contributes to the strategic direction and stewardship of the organization throughout the region.
Experience in a nonprofit public interest advocacy setting is highly desirable. A law degree and litigation experience at the state court, federal district court, and/or appellate court levels are preferred, but would not be required for an appropriate candidate.
Salary and Benefits
CLF offers a competitive salary, an extensive benefits plan, and an open, inclusive and accepting work environment where differences are highly respected.
Send your resume titled “your last name-first initial-resume” (e.g. “SMITH J RESUME”) and a detailed cover letter titled “your last name-first initial-cover” (e.g. “SMITH J COVER”) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make “MA ACD” the subject of your e-mail. No phone calls please.