Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) is seeking a full-time paralegal to work with the organization’s Strategic Litigation team. The paralegal will be working in support of trial attorneys pursuing environmental litigation in various district court jurisdictions in New England and will be based out of CLF’s Boston office.
What you’ll do
CLF is dedicated to implementing legal strategies to address major, cross-cutting environmental issues such as climate-change liability, addressing the negative consequences of plastics in the environment, reducing nutrient pollution that fuels toxic algae outbreaks, and holding responsible parties to account for release of emerging contaminants into the environment. You will be a key player in helping us achieve our mission. You will:
- Assist attorneys in acquiring, preparing, defending and closing environmental cases;
- Research and pursue fact investigations through on-line data collection, in-person file requests and reviews, and site investigations;
- Quickly prepare in-depth research analyses;
- Organize, prepare, and keep track of court filings—such as motions and pleadings—and assist to prepare for and attend court hearings;
- Help set up and prepare for meetings or interviews with clients or others involved in cases;
- Organize and maintain the team’s case-related files;
- Track potentially related cases and environmental issues;
- Perform administrative and other responsibilities as needed.
What you’ll need
We are looking for a motivated and mature self-starter that is able to work both independently and as a productive team member. To be successful in this role, you’ll need:
- Passion and commitment to the environment, public health, and/or social justice;
- Paralegal certificate, and/or a bachelor’s degree;
- Strong research, writing, and editing skills (legal or otherwise);
- Oral communications skills, attention to detail, and comfort with deadlines;
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, ability to take initiative, solve problems, assess priorities, and manage a variety of activities in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to gain fast fluency in a completely new topic;
- An understanding of environmental issues and a background in environmental studies, science, or advocacy are a plus;
- GIS skills are a plus;
- Willingness to travel within New England with occasional nighttime and weekend work and;
- Good sense of humor.
Compensation and Benefits:
CLF offers a competitive compensation, an extensive benefits plan, and a rich, multicultural work environment.
You might like to know
Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) protects New England’s environment for the benefit of all people. A non-profit, member-supported organization, CLF uses the law, science and the market to solve the region’s most challenging environmental problems from climate change to ocean conservation to transportation. Every day, CLF advocates stand up for New Englanders—in state houses, court houses and board rooms, regulatory hearings and community gatherings—to forge innovative paths to environmental progress and economic prosperity for all in our region. To that end, CLF works with communities of color, and those that are economically or otherwise disadvantaged, which often suffer disproportionately the impacts of environmental degradation.Founded in 1966,
CLF is recognized nationwide for taking on complex issues, sticking with them and getting results that make New England a better place to live, visit and do business, including: cleaning up Boston Harbor, restoring New England’s cod population, blocking oil and gas drilling on Georges Bank, preserving wilderness areas in Vermont and New Hampshire, reducing emissions from cars and trucks, laying the groundwork for widespread implementation of renewable energy, and winning some of the country’s strongest protections for clean air and clean water. CLF is headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, with offices in Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont.
If this exciting opportunity appeals to you, please send your resume titled “your last name-first initial-resume” (e.g., “SMITH J RESUME”) and a thoughtful cover letter titled “your last name-first initial-cover” (e.g., “SMITH J COVER”) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make “Paralegal” the subject of your e-mail. The position will remain open until filled. No phone calls please.
CLF embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We are dedicated to forming a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.