Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) is seeking a Senior Attorney to join our team working to protect New England’s environment for all people. The Senior Attorney will work with CLF’s Ocean Conservation team and will be based in one of the following CLF regional offices: Concord or Portsmouth, NH; Portland, ME; Providence, RI; or Boston, MA, with some opportunity for remote work within New England.
The Senior Attorney will work to advance the Ocean Conservation Program’s priorities and to promote solutions to the region’s biggest environmental challenges using litigation, policy, and legislative advocacy. Under the Ocean Conservation Program, the work will focus on sustainable fisheries management, ocean habitat protection, marine mammal protection and ocean planning.
What you’ll do
- Devise and execute legal and policy strategies for achieving CLF’s advocacy goals;
- Represent CLF in litigation and administrative proceedings;
- Advise community and advocacy groups on legal and policy matters;
- Build alliances and coalitions among stakeholders that may include environmental organizations, ocean users, scientists, public officials, businesses, and others;
- Comment on administrative rules, state and federal permits, and other state and federal agency actions;
- Write public educational materials, articles, opinion pieces and communicate about advocacy work through news and social media outlets;
- Lead project teams and supervise and mentor junior advocates and interns;
- Contribute to CLF’s strategic priorities and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and organizational excellence;
- Assist CLF’s Communications team in delivering advocacy news and key messages to the press, our members, and the public;
- Assist Development team with fundraising efforts; and
- Prepare research reports, memos, and presentations.
What you’ll need
We are looking for a motivated and mature self-starter that is able to work both independently and as a productive team member. To be successful in this role, you’ll need:
- At least 7 years of relevant experience practicing law and experience in ocean law and policy or other relevant area of law;
- A passion and commitment to the environment, public health, and/or social justice;
- Experience in ocean policy and law;
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to put your analysis into writing that is easily understood;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to take initiative, solve problems, assess priorities, and manage a variety of activities in a fast-paced environment;
- Commitment to developing new skills and responsibilities;
- Commitment to working collaboratively with a diverse group of colleagues and partners;
- Passion for CLF’s mission;
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion; and
- A law degree and active bar membership in good standing.
Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) protects New England’s environment for the benefit of all people. A non-profit, member-supported organization, CLF uses the law, science, and the market to solve the region’s most challenging environmental problems, from climate change to ocean conservation to transportation. Every day, CLF advocates stand up for New Englanders—in statehouses, courthouses, boardrooms, regulatory hearings, and community gatherings—to forge innovative paths to environmental progress and economic prosperity for all in our region. To that end, CLF frequently works with communities of color, and those that are economically or otherwise disadvantaged, which often suffer disproportionately from the impacts of environmental degradation. CLF is committed to representing New England’s diversity in our staff, volunteers, boards, and membership and creating a positive, inclusive workplace culture where all can thrive. People of color are encouraged to apply.
Salary & Benefits
CLF offers a competitive salary, an extensive benefits plan, and an open, inclusive, and accepting work environment where differences are highly respected. The base salary for the position is $80,000 if based in a CLF office outside of MA and $88,000 if based in Boston which includes a cost-of-living adjustment; actual salary will reflect experience, qualification, and where the selected candidate is based.
If this exciting opportunity appeals to you, please send your resume titled “your last name-first initial-resume” (e.g. “SMITH J RESUME”) and a thoughtful cover letter titled “your last name-first initial-cover” (e.g. “SMITH J COVER”) to email@example.com. Please make “Senior Attorney Oceans” the subject of your e-mail. No phone calls please.
CLF considers the health and safety of its staff members and their families, our guests, our visitors, and the community at large to be a top priority. All offers to work, intern, or volunteer with CLF are conditioned on the candidate complying with CLF’s mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy.