Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) is seeking a staff attorney with 3 to 5 years of experience to join our team working to protect New England’s environment for all people. The staff attorney will work with CLF’s Clean Air and Water and Strategic Litigation programs, and can be based in any of our state offices.
What you’ll do
The Staff Attorney will work on litigation across each program’s priorities, as well as promote solutions to the region’s biggest environmental challenges using policy tools and legislative advocacy. Potential litigation will involve climate-change liability, addressing the negative consequences of plastics in the environment, reducing nutrient pollution that fuels toxic algae outbreaks, and holding responsible parties to account for release of emerging contaminants into the environment.
Under the Clean Air and Water Program, the work will focus on Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act enforcement cases, and advocacy for clean and safe drinking water, including PFAS-related regulatory actions.
Under the Strategic Litigation Program, the Staff Attorney will work on major cases that prompt region-wide, nationwide, or international action, and break new ground in the use of legal requirements and enforcement to bring about transformative change in outcomes for public health, natural resource, or environmental governance.
The staff attorney will:
- Devise and execute legal strategies for achieving CLF’s advocacy goals;
- Represent CLF in litigation and administrative proceedings;
- Negotiate civil penalties, injunctive relief, and fee and cost recovery;
- Advise community and advocacy groups on legal and policy matters;
- Build alliances and coalitions among parties that may include community groups, public officials, business interests, and other organizations;
- Draft public comment letters on projects, policies, and plans;
- Assist CLF’s communications team in delivering advocacy news and key messages to the press, our members, and the public; and
- Prepare research reports, memos, and presentations.
What you’ll need
We are looking for a motivated and mature self-starter who is able to work both independently and as a productive team member. To be successful in this role, you’ll need:
- A passion and commitment to the environment, public health, and/or social justice;
- Litigation experience;
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to put your analysis into writing that is easily understood;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to take initiative, solve problems, assess priorities, and manage a variety of activities in a fast-paced environment;
- Commitment to developing new skills and responsibilities;
- Commitment to working collaboratively with a diverse group of colleagues and partners; and
- Candidates must be admitted to practice in good standing in a state bar.
CLF offers a competitive salary, an extensive benefits plan, and an open, inclusive, and accepting work environment where differences are highly respected.
Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) protects New England’s environment for the benefit of all people. A non-profit, member-supported organization, CLF uses the law, science and the market to solve the region’s most challenging environmental problems from climate change to ocean conservation to transportation. Every day, CLF advocates stand up for New Englanders—in state houses, court houses and board rooms, regulatory hearings and community gatherings—to forge innovative paths to environmental progress and economic prosperity for all in our region. To that end, CLF works with communities of color, and those that are economically or otherwise disadvantaged, which often suffer disproportionately the impacts of environmental degradation.
If this exciting opportunity appeals to you, please send your resume titled “your last name-first initial-resume” (e.g. “SMITH J RESUME”) and a thoughtful cover letter titled “your last name-first initial-cover” (e.g. “SMITH J COVER”) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make “CLF Staff Attorney (CAW/SL)” the subject of your e-mail. No phone calls please.
CLF embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are dedicated to forming a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.