Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) is seeking a staff attorney to join our Community Resilience team working to protect New England’s environment for all people. The staff attorney will work with CLF staff with current attorneys and other professional staff to develop new policy tools, legal strategies and advocacy approaches directed toward equitable public access to and benefits on Massachusetts’ coast and climate-resilient waterfront development and infrastructure. This is cutting-edge work that will resonate strongly with any attorney interested in public interest advocacy.
This position is based in CLF’s Boston office.
What you’ll do
CLF is dedicated to ensuring that Massachusetts’ waterfronts thrive by being equitable, accessible, and safe from climate change risks. You will be a key player in helping us achieve our mission.
You will help us by:
• Drafting public comment letters on projects, policies, and plans;
• Writing public education materials, blogs, and social media posts;
• Educating and advocating to local, state, and federal legislatures and administrators;
• Preparing reports, memos, and presentations;
• Building alliances and coalitions among community groups, public officials, business interests, and other organizations;
• Representing CLF in federal and state court litigation and administrative proceedings;
• Attending occasional evening meetings in Boston.
What you’ll need
We are looking for a motivated attorney who can work both independently and as a productive team member. To be successful in this role, you’ll need:
• A passion and commitment to environmental, public health, and/or social justice work;
• Analytical skills and the ability to communicate that analysis to a variety of audiences;
• Strong organizational and interpersonal skills;
• Commitment to developing new skills and responsibilities;
• Commitment to working collaboratively with a diverse group of colleagues and partners;
• Candidates must be a registered member or be willing to obtain admission to the Massachusetts State Bar.
CLF offers a competitive salary an extensive benefits plan, and an open, inclusive, and accepting work environment where differences are highly respected.
You might like to know
Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) protects New England’s environment for the benefit of all people. A non-profit, member-supported organization, CLF uses the law, science and the market to solve the region’s most challenging environmental problems from climate change to ocean conservation to transportation. Every day, CLF advocates stand up for New Englanders—in state houses, court houses and board rooms, regulatory hearings and community gatherings—to forge innovative paths to environmental progress and economic prosperity for all in our region. To that end, CLF works with communities of color, and those that are economically or otherwise disadvantaged, which often suffer disproportionately the impacts of environmental degradation.
If this exciting opportunity appeals to you, please send your resume titled “your last name-first initial-resume” (e.g. “SMITH J RESUME”) and a thoughtful cover letter titled “your last name-first initial-cover” (e.g. “SMITH J COVER”) to email@example.com. Please make “ Staff Attorney” the subject of your e-mail. No phone calls please.
CLF embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are dedicated to forming a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.