Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) is seeking a Vice President for Rhode Island to join our team working for a healthy and thriving New England for all.
The Vice President for Rhode Island will be responsible for developing and implementing CLF’s statewide advocacy to advance the organization’s strategic priorities for climate, community, conservation, and change leadership in Rhode Island , working collaboratively with program directors and dozens of lawyers, planners, scientists, analysts and other advocates across six programs: Clean Energy and Climate Change; Healthy and Resilient Communities; Environmental Justice; Clean Air and Water; Strategic Litigation; and Oceans.
The position is based in Providence, with some opportunity for remote and flexible work.
What you’ll do:
- Develop, refine, and implement Rhode Island’s advocacy strategy to advance CLF’s strategic goals and objectives throughout the state;
- Work closely with other senior staff to facilitate and coordinate the work of advocates working on campaigns, litigation, legislation, and other matters in Rhode Island as part of a regional strategy;
- Represent CLF in the Rhode Island legislature, legal and regulatory proceedings, public forums, media events, and conferences;
- Build relationships and work closely with community partners who inform and support CLF’s advocacy;
- Steward the CLF Rhode Island Advisory Board to maximize impact, visibility, and efficacy of CLF’s advocacy in Rhode Island;
- Participate on CLF’s Senior Team to provide feedback on CLF’s internal and external strategies;
- Work closely with CLF’s communications staff on media and press opportunities to highlight Rhode Island advocacy and campaigns;
- Manage CLF’s Rhode Island team of advocates, staff, interns, and volunteers working from the Providence office; and
- Work closely with CLF’s development staff to cultivate and expand membership, foundation support, and individual giving towards annual fundraising goals.
What you’ll need
- A minimum of five years of advocacy or related experience in fields relevant to CLF’s work;
- A law degree and Rhode Island bar membership (preferred), or substantial experience in working with and overseeing lawyers and policy experts;
- Demonstrated success in navigating complex policy, legal, legislative and regulatory matters in both adversarial and consensus-building contexts;
- Experience in developing productive relationships with policymakers and a broad range of peer organizations;
- A collaborative leadership style, with proven ability to lead, manage, and support interdisciplinary teams;
- Personal and professional commitment to addressing issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion; and
- Skills in fundraising and media (earned and social).
CLF offers a competitive salary, an extensive benefits plan, and an open, inclusive, and accepting work environment where differences are highly respected. The base salary for this position is $115,000.00; actual salary will reflect experience and qualifications.
Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) protects New England’s environment for the benefit of all people. A non-profit, member-supported organization, CLF uses the law, science, and the market to solve the region’s most challenging environmental problems, from climate change to ocean conservation to transportation. Every day, CLF advocates stand up for New Englanders—in statehouses, courthouses, boardrooms, regulatory hearings, and community gatherings—to forge innovative paths to environmental progress and economic prosperity for all in our region. To that end, CLF frequently works with communities of color, and those that are economically or otherwise disadvantaged, which often suffer disproportionately from the impacts of environmental degradation.
If this opportunity appeals to you, please send your resume titled “your last name-first initial-resume” (e.g. “SMITH J RESUME”) and a thoughtful cover letter titled “your last name-first initial-cover” (e.g. “SMITH J COVER”) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make “VP for Rhode Island” the subject of your e-mail. No phone calls, please.
CLF embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are dedicated to forming a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.