About: Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) is an environmental advocacy organization based in New England. CLF works to protect New England’s environment for the benefit of all people. We use the law, science, and the market to create solutions that preserve our natural resources, build healthy communities, and sustain a vibrant economy. The Legal Food Hub, a project housed within CLF’s Farm & Food Initiative, is a pro bono legal services clearinghouse where farmers, food entrepreneurs, and related organizations get matched with attorneys willing to assist with their legal issues for free. Legal Food Hub launched in Rhode Island in November 2016 and has been running in Massachusetts and Maine for the past two years.
Job Description: CLF seeks a volunteer Legal Food Hub Project Assistant in Maine to perform a variety of program and outreach tasks on behalf of the organization, including but not limited to:
- Outreach to Maine farmers, food entrepreneurs, and organizations, working with these stakeholders to raise awareness about the project. This would involve researching project issues, sending e-mails, making phone calls, visiting farmers/food businesses, and sending brochures.
- Targeted outreach to attorneys in Maine to recruit lawyers for the Legal Food Hub network of attorneys. This would involve the same as above.
- Assist the Legal Food Hub staff attorney in Maine with planning workshops and trainings, including Continuing Legal Education (CLE) seminars.
- Researching additional outlets for CLF to market this project (trade organization newsletters, relevant listserves, etc.)
- Assist the Legal Food Hub staff attorney in Maine with event planning, including presentations at the annual Common Ground Fair and Agricultural Trades Show.
Supervisor: Maine Legal Food Hub Staff Attorney
A minimum of six months, ideally once or twice per week for at least 8-10 hours per week. Flexible schedule, dependent on program needs and volunteer’s ability.
- Associate’s degree or higher
- Demonstrated experience working with farm/food entrepreneur stakeholder community or on food system-related projects
- Good organizational skills
- Succinct and professional communication skills
How to Apply
Send a cover letter titled “your last name – first initial – cover” (ex: “SMITH J COVER”), your resume titled “your last name- first initial – resume” (ex: “SMITH J RESUME”), and a short writing sample titled “your last name – first initial – writing” (ex: “SMITH J WRITING”) to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Deadline to Apply
Wednesday, June 15, 2017
Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) protects New England’s environment for the benefit of all people. A non-profit, member-supported organization, CLF uses the law, science, and the market to solve the region’s most challenging environmental problems from climate change to ocean conservation to transportation. Every day, CLF advocates stand up for New Englanders – in state houses, court houses, board rooms, regulatory hearings, and community gatherings – to forge innovative paths to environmental progress and economic prosperity for all in our region. To that end, CLF works with communities of color, and also communities that are economically or otherwise disadvantaged, which often suffer disproportionately the impacts of environmental degradation. CLF is committed to representing New England’s diversity in our staff, volunteers, boards, and membership, and creating a positive, inclusive workplace culture where all can thrive. People of color are encouraged to apply.