Protecting Maine’s Air, Land, and Water for All
From the rugged peaks of Baxter State Park to Acadia’s rocky shores, from the quiet beauty of our lakes to the bounty of our many farms, Maine is the place CLF has pledged to protect with all the tenacity, passion, and skill that we have.
For 50 years, CLF has put our local knowledge and legal expertise to work for Maine’s people and communities. We blocked an oil refinery in Eastport that would have devastated its pristine harbor, brought alewives back to the St. Croix River, and stopped a destructive and unnecessary dam on the Penobscot. Today, we are fighting to make our air and water cleaner, protect our climate, and create safe and healthy communities for all.
- CLIMATE CHANGE: We’re fighting big gas and saying yes to clean, locally made energy and greater energy efficiency across the state.
- CLEAN WATER: We’re leading the charge to protect Maine’s waters, with a focus on holding polluters accountable for illegal and damaging stormwater discharge.
- PEOPLE & COMMUNITIES: We’re bolstering Maine’s local farmers and food entrepreneurs with free legal help so their businesses can thrive.
- OCEANS: We’re protecting our most fragile ocean habitats and securing the future of Maine’s fishing families.
- MARKET STRATEGIES: We’re helping New England shift to a green economy – one that’s low carbon and sustainable, and that provides opportunities for all.
We’re working towards a Maine powered by affordable clean energy, with air free from dirty pollution and waters you can swim in, fish, and drink from without worry… a Maine where our local farm economy and our fisheries are stronger and more vibrant than ever before… and a Maine where our ocean and our forests are fortified against the impacts of our changing climate. This is the future that CLF is fighting to create.
What We’re Up Against
Maine has the largest percentage of homes in the United States that still heat with oil – and our transportation sector is the state’s single largest source of greenhouse gases. With damage to our climate already being felt in our forests and our ocean waters, the business-as-usual approach to energy simply won’t cut it anymore.
Even as we fight to clean up the power that heats our homes and businesses, a new threat looms. Big gas wants us to trade dirty coal for another polluting fuel: natural gas. And they want to deliver it by building a massive, oversized pipeline right through New Englanders’ backyards.
But it’s more than just our air and climate at risk. Sea-level rise could devastate our coastal communities, while warming waters could damage the habitats our marine wildlife – and our fishing families – need to thrive. At the same time, polluted runoff threatens the health of our rivers, streams, lakes, and ponds – and the communities that depend on them for recreation and economic prosperity.
That’s why CLF is fighting for change by holding polluters accountable and ensuring a healthy, thriving Maine for generations to come.
53 Exchange Street, Ste 200
Portland, ME 04101